Women’s Health, Gender, and Empowerment
The oppression of women and girls is a pervasive human rights violation with profound effects on their health and wellbeing. The United Nations recently endorsed Sustainable Development Goal 5 to "achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls," and leaders consider this "critical to the success of the new [development] agenda." The University of California (UC) recognizes the importance of gender equity, as demonstrated by the President's Task Force and system-wide initiative to prevent sexual violence.
The Center of Expertise on Women's Health, Gender, and Empowerment envisions a world in which equitable gender norms lead to healthy and empowered women — including UC students. The Center's mission is to promote justice and scientific advances to reduce gender and health inequities. Grounded in human rights principles, the Center's approach is trans-disciplinary, action-oriented, and transformative.
UC San Francisco
UC San Diego
Please note: Funding awarded to the COE on Women's Health, Gender & Empowerment is a renewal of the existing COE previously named Women's Health & Empowerment which was co-directed by Dr. Paula Tavrow (UCLA) and Dr. Craig Cohen (UCSF)
A Twenty-First-Century Agenda
- What is women's empowerment, and how and why does it matter for women's health? These are questions that the University of California Global Health Institute's (UCGHI) Center of Expertise (COE) on Womens Health, Gender, and Empowerment aimed to answer with this new book published by UC Press.
Learn more »
- Chapter 1: Action Research and Training for Health (ARTH), Rajasthan, India
- Chapter 2: Let's End Fistula Project: A Holistic Approach from Kenya
- Chapter 6: Women Organized to Respond to Life-Threatening Disease (WORLD), United States
- Chapter 7: Sonke Gender Justice and One Man Can, South Africa
- Chapter 8: The SHZA! HUB: serving the Needs of Adolescent Women and Girls in Zimbabwe
- Chapter 11: Legal Interruption of Pregnancy (ILE), Mexico City
- Chapter 13: Xochilt Acalt Womenâ€™s Center, Nicaragua
- More Videos »
- Women's Empowerment and Global Health
- Women's empowerment and family planning: a review of the literature
- Women's empowerment and fertility: a review of the literature
- Gender-transformative interventions to reduce HIV risks and violence with heterosexually active men: a review of the global evidence
- More Publications »