Migration and Health
Migration is a global phenomenon involving hundreds of millions of people, with major social and economic impacts on both countries of origin and destinations. In the U.S., California is by far the most affected by these population movements. The Center of Expertise on Migration and Health will be the first multidisciplinary, university-based program in the world devoted to systematically studying the health consequences of international population movements and developing more effective strategies to address them.
More than ever, I feel that the human race is one. There are differences of colour, language, culture and opportunities, but people's feelings and reactions are alike. People flee wars to escape death, they migrate to improve their fortunes, they build new lives in foreign lands, they adapt to extreme hardship….Sebastian Salgado, Author of Migrations
The research agenda at the Center of Expertise on Migration and Health will focus on four key areas: behavioral and socio-economic determinants of health, health outcomes in migrants’ communities of origin and destination, child health, and health care delivery and policy. Forty scholars at ten UC campuses have agreed to serve as the Center’s initial core faculty.
- Field Research Methods for Migration Studies (UC San Diego)
- Population Change and Public Policy (UCLA)
- Department of Community Health Sciences Courses Page (UCLA)
- There are no opportunities at this time
- Migration and Health: A Research Methods Handbook is available from UC Press. Edited by COEMH leadership, this book is the first to engage with the many unique issues that arise in the study of migrant communities. It offers a comprehensive description of quantitative and qualitative methodologies useful in work with migrant populations.
- Special Issue: Improving Health Among Immigrant Populations (Field Actions Science Reports)
- Special Issue: Health and Migration (Field Actions Science Reports)
Related UC Programs
- Migration and Health Research Center
- UCB Health Initiative of the Americans
- UCLA Blum Center on Poverty and Health in Latin America
- UCLA Center for Global and Immigrant Health
- UCLA Center for Health Policy Research
- UCLA Migration Study Group
- UCSD Center for Comparative Immigration Studies
- UCSD Division of Global Public Health
- UCSD Global Health Initiative
- UCSF Bixby Center for Global Reproductive Health